Monday, March 15, 2010

New York State of Mind 2


One of the first shows we watched on Broadway on this trip is Looped starring Valerie Harper. It is about a recording session of Tallulah Bankhead for one line for movie which turns into a whole day affair of raunchy comedy with doses of catharsis. I didn't know much about Tallulah Bankhead before the play except that she's inspired several designers.

Valerie Harper as Tallulah Bankhead in Looped

I walked out of the theater wanting to learn more about her because she was quite the revolutionary with a tongue that was fierce, cutting and full of sexual bon mots. Kim Cattral's Samantha seems like a virgin next to her. For example:

"I am a bi-sexual. Buy me something and I'll get sexual"

or

"I've tried several varieties of sex. The conventional position makes me claustrophobic And the others either give me a still neck or lockjaw"

or

"The worst position I can think of is on a hammock... standing"

Tallulah Bankhead photographed by Eugene Robert Richee

It's a really hilarious play and if you are in NYC, make sure to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment